WebLogo

Monday, March 18, 2013

My Knitted Pants are Knitted!

My pants are knitted and ready for me to wear!


Yesterday I went on a bike ride to test them out and get a few pics, and I completely love them.  The color is probably darker than I would have used if I was making a sample (lighter colors photograph better), but for me to just wear, it's perfect.  They've got just enough nuance to look really interesting and set off the bright colors that I like to wear for the rest of my wardrobe.


Maybe I'll make my next pair in a bolder color like Lichen or Jam Session.

I did modify my own pattern a tiny bit for these.  I wanted a slightly lower rise fit, so I worked the increases in the hip section every six rounds instead of every 8.  That worked perfectly so that the waistband sits just above my hips.  

Some info that I stated in an earlier post, but might be nice to have here with the finished object as well:  I made the XS size.  My low waist circumference is about 26 in/66 cm, giving me about 3.5 in/9 cm of negative ease.  (The recommended is 3-5 in/7.5-13 cm.)  Because my elastic is really stretchy, I cut it to 24 in/61 cm, which is 2 in/5 cm less than my low waist measurement instead of the suggested 1 in/2.5 cm.  In order to decide to do this, I just held the elastic around my waist and tried pulling it over my hips at a few different lengths.  

These felt really great on my bike.  I forgot I was wearing them for a while because it just felt like any of my other jersey knit wool leggings.  

Project Roundup:
Pattern: Kalaloch
Size Knit: XS
Yarn: Hazel Knits DK Lively in Portobello; just under 3 skeins used
Needles: US#4/3.5 mm Addi Lace Clicks
Mods: Increase every sixth round instead of every eight at hips for  a lower rise fit


Our Knit Along is still going strong, so feel free to join us and knit your own pants!

6 comments:

  1. i love them!!! they look fantastic! i still reaaaaaaaally want to knit myself a pair.. soon. (hoping)... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pants are great (tho not a knitter so I just have to covet), but what company makes those boots? Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're Dr. Marten Miranda's and they have zips, which makes them so convenient! I've had them for over two years and I wear them pretty much every day. I've had to have one of the zips repaired so far, but other than that, they're still in great condition with a great rugged, worn look. (Plus, I really trudge through the mud quite a bit, thus, the filth.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS! I just came across your blog from Lovely Bicycle. These are FANTASTIC and I MUST knit them. And one of my non knitting (but otherwise crafty girlfriends) will be so jealous that maybe she will allow me to teach her to knit. I'm buying the pattern! How well do you think it would would with a DK 2 ply handspun in perhaps Corriedale? Or I've got a Merino/Rambouillet that's rather sproingy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Those all sound lovely, but I do recommend using a superwash wool simply because these are going to get a lot of wear on the seat and inner thighs, and it would be a bummer if those areas felted due to friction and moisture/sweating. (I've been thinking about pants knitting for a long time.)

    ReplyDelete

RavelryGrayscaleButton2 InstagramGrayscaleButton2 TwitterGrayscaleButton2 PinterestGrayscaleButton2 FacebookGrayscaleButton2 MailGrayscaleButton2
 ©  2007-2012 Andrea