It's been a long time in the works and I'm really excited to announce that Woodsmoke and Ash: Knits for Men, is now available for pre-order. The book has seven patterns including two sweaters, two hats, a scarf, socks, and gloves.
|Download the Look Book for images of all seven designs in Woodsmoke & Ash: Knits for Men|
Photo Copyright Kathy Cadigan 2012
Today two patterns are available: Heartwood, the color work hat shown above, and Briquette, the textured scarf you may have already seen on this website and on Ravelry. If you pre-order the book today, you'll get those two patterns immediately. The rest will be added every Monday starting January 7. The final ebook will be available on February 4.
Woodsmoke and Ash: Knits for Men will be available in both ebook and print. Both formats are now available for pre-order. Download the Look Book for images of all of the designs.
The ebook for $17
- - Instant gratification! You'll receive two pattern downloads as soon as you pre-order: Heartwood (a hat) and Briquette (a scarf).
- - The remaining patterns will be released every Monday starting January 7. The new PDF will conveniently be added to the ebook on Ravelry, which will already be in your library. You'll receive notification and a link to download the new pattern.
- - Once all 7 patterns have been released, you'll have access to both the individual patterns and the full ebook.
- - The complete ebook will be available February 4, 2013
The print book + ebook for $22 plus shipping (available in the US and Canada only)
- Get both the convenience of the ebook as well as the gorgeous print edition.
- The print edition includes beautiful full color photographs and perfect binding.
- Invest in the print book for an inspirational and beautiful addition to your library.
- Pre-order for instant access to the digital patterns (see above for pattern release schedule)
- The complete ebook will be available February 4, 2013.
- Your beautiful signed copy of the print book will ship by February 18, 2013.
The print book will also be available at select yarn shops. Check back for a list of retailers.
When I first began designing this collection, I had a vision: classy, interesting knits that men would want to wear as well as knit. Having lived in both the city and the country, I have found inspiration in both the practical casualness of the urban Northwest lifestyle, as well as the earthy outdoorsiness of the country. Both places meet in this collection, which melds simplicity, masculinity, and style.
Today's pattern is Heartwood.
Photo Copyright Kathy Cadigan 2012
This color work hat with strong, geometric patterning combines style, warmth and class. It's worked at a snug gauge in worsted weight yarn to get a firm, wind-resistant fabric; using a woolen spun yarn like Brooklyn Tweed Shelter keeps it lightweight. The clean knitted-in hem adds a little extra warmth at the ears. Heartwood is knit from the bottom up, with full fashion decreases to create a square-shaped top. It's a great way to use up remainders of yarn, and is a surprisingly quick color work project with a subtle masculine edge.
The pattern is available now for individual purchase, or as part of the print or e-book pre-order.
Brim Circumference: 21.25 in/54 cm
Worsted weight yarn in three colors:
MC: 100 yd/92 m
CC1: 60 yd/55 m
CC2: 50 yd/46 m
Shown in Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Wool, 140 yd/128 m per 50g skein)
Main Color: #04 Nest 1 skein
Contrast Color 1: #24 Soot 1 skein
Contrast Color 2: #27 Woodsmoke 1 skein
21 sts/36 rows = 4 in/10 cm in Stockinette with smaller needle
21 sts/26 rows = 4 in/10 cm in color work Stockinette stitch with larger needle
Needles & Notions
* Needle Sizes are recommendations only. Always use needle size necessary to obtain gauge.
2 US #4/3.5 mm 16 in circular needles
US #6/4 mm 16 in circular needle
US #4/3.5 mm double pointed needles, 32 in or longer circular needle for magic loop method, or 2 circular needles; use your preferred small-circumference circular knitting method
size F/3.75 mm crochet hook
provisional cast on, knitting in a hem, color work in the round, shaping using decreases
If you pre-order now, you also get Briquette:
Photo copyright Kathy Cadigan 2012
Check back next Monday to find out which pattern will be released next!